5 C
Sunday, December 4, 2022
HomeUK NewsKamran Haider: Dog breeder jailed for life for murdering girlfriend's toddler

Kamran Haider: Dog breeder jailed for life for murdering girlfriend’s toddler

An unlicensed dog breeder has been jailed for at least 20 years for murdering his girlfriend’s toddler.

Kamran Haider, 39, attacked 16-month-old Nusayba Umar in September 2019, causing catastrophic brain injuries.

The toddler’s mother, Asiyah Amazir, called 999 and wrongly claimed her daughter had fallen ill on a bus, the Old Bailey was told at an earlier hearing.

Nusayba, who weighed just 17lbs, was most likely killed by “violent shaking”, though there was some evidence of impact, the court heard.

She was taken to hospital but died four days later.

Haider had denied being responsible for Nusayba’s injuries but was found guilty of murder and child cruelty.

He failed to attend a sentencing hearing on Wednesday at which Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb jailed him for life with a minimum term of 20 years for murder and 18 months for cruelty, to run concurrently.

Nusayba’s mother said her daughter had been “subjected to the most horrible experiences at the hands of this man”.

She said: “I will never forget the events that led to her death for as long as I live. I vividly remember the things she suffered, and that noise she made on the last day of her life will haunt me forever.”

History of child abuse

Passing sentence, Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb said: “This was not an accident; it was a gross breach of trust by an adult towards an utterly dependent baby.”

She added: “Kamran Haider is 39 years old and has old and relatively minor previous convictions, but I am satisfied so I am sure that he is someone who has a propensity to seek to control and abuse women and children who come into his sphere of influence.”

Jurors heard that Haider had a history of violence, attacking a former girlfriend and abusing her children to “teach them a lesson”.

Just over a fortnight before the fatal attack, Nusayba allegedly suffered a separate head injury while in his care.

On the day of the murder, Mrs Amazir heard Haider tell her daughter to “shut up”, followed by a slapping sound and “yelp”.

When Nusayba began having a fit and Haider suggested to Mrs Amazir that she take the youngster to her home to “relax”, jurors heard.

Instead, Mrs Amazir called an ambulance from the bus stop at the end of the road and Nusayba died days later in hospital.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments