Prince Andrew has asked for a jury trial and denied all the allegations against him as he officially responded to Virginia Giuffre’s sexual assault lawsuit.
Court documents filed in New York show he “demands a trial by jury on all causes of action asserted in the complaint”.
Ms Giuffre accuses the Duke of York of forcing her to have sex more than two decades ago at the London home of convicted sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell.
The duke, 61, is being sued by Ms Giuffre, 38, formerly known as Virginia Roberts, in a US civil case.
He has always strongly denied the allegations against him.
Ms Giuffre claims “sexual assault and battery” by the duke and being trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein to have sex with Andrew when she was 17.
The alleged offences are said to have happened at three locations between 2000 and 2002: Maxwell’s home, Epstein’s New York mansion and his private island.
In the document on Wednesday, Andrew’s lawyers formally set out his response to the allegations and denied he sexually abused Ms Giuffre.
The document also sets out 12 defences: including that the claim should be dismissed because Ms Giuffre is a resident of Australia; that too much time has passed; due to “her own wrongful conduct”; and that she gave up her right to sue after signing an agreement with Epstein.
Earlier this month, Prince Andrew failed to use that 2009 deal to get the case thrown out.
His lawyers had argued Ms Giuffre waived her rights when she signed the $500,000 settlement.
It included an agreement to “release, acquit, satisfy, and forever discharge” Epstein and “any other person or entity who could have been included as a potential defendant”.
However, the judge rejected the duke’s bid and ruled the case could proceed.
Buckingham Palace responded by removing the duke’s military titles and patronages and saying he would fight the case as a private individual.
The document filed on Wednesday concludes: “Prince Andrew hereby demands a trial by jury on all causes of action asserted in the Complaint.”
Ms Giuffre’s lawyer said they were looking forward to “confronting” the prince about his “denials”.
David Boies said: “Prince Andrew’s Answer continues his approach of denying any knowledge or information concerning the claims against him, and purporting to blame the victim of the abuse for somehow bringing it on herself.
“We look forward to confronting Prince Andrew with his denials and attempts to blame Ms Giuffre for her own abuse at his deposition and at trial”.
The duke’s filing was an “answer,” a document common in US cases in which defendants deny an accusation or say they lack enough information to comment.